welcome! I’m back in your inbox this morning to walk you through everything you need to know about what’s going on locally.
First, today’s weather:
Clouds give way to some sun. High: 79 Low: 60.
📢 Looking for Business Owners and Marketers in Essex-Chester-Deep River Who want to build awareness, connect with customers and increase sales.
I have a limited number of sponsorship offerings available to introduce daily Essex-Chester-Deep River readers to the local businesses they need to know about. If that’s you, I invite you to find out more and secure your place now.
Here are the top stories at Essex-Chester-Deep River today:
- Tonight is the peak viewing night for the rare alignment of five planets. This alignment will not appear again for decades, and it approaches its peak after the summer solstice when the crescent moon joins the parade. The procession of planets — Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, in that order — will be visible directly above the eastern horizon within an hour or so before sunrise through the end of the month, according to AccuWeather. The best time to celebrate is before 5 amon 24 June, when the crescent moon will join the procession of planets. The alignment of the planets can be seen without a telescope, although AccuWeather notes that Mercury may be difficult to determine because it is the darkest of the planets and will be lowest in the sky. (patch)
- keep it local, HOneycone Craft Ice Cream in downtown Chester is highlighted by Ann Nyberg and News 8. The article explains how Honeycone collaborates with a local brewery, farm, and bakery to create their own unique and subtle flavours, which are the perfect touch to the end of any summer evening. According to a News 8 article, Christiana Perup, who owns the ice cream shop with her mother, Tula McDougall, said, “We try to make flavors as unique as possible. So, for example, we now have a lot of different things like the Strawberry Line Nondairy. We have rosemary chocolate and bow biscuits. Italian Rainbow. Next month we have Blackberry Basil coming. So we really try to keep it fresh and fun.” So, next time you’re in downtown Chester, check out Honeycone and try something new. (WTNH.com)
- Looking for something fun to do this weekend in the nutmeg country? Here is a list of the 25+ things you can do on CT this weekend. What events and activities will you attend? (CT Insider)
- If you are used to swimming in Lake Roger in Old Lyme, Or if you frequent the lake for boating and fishing, you may want to know that according to an Old Lyme press release, “the lake He had a herbicide treatment for invasive aquatic weeds Determined by the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station on Thursday, June 23. The pond and lake connection performed the treatment as per DEEP permit: AQUA-2022-083. The only limitation of this treatment is that the water should not be used for irrigation from June 23 until June 30. Signs around the lake are placed at all access points. (patch)
- A new independent cafe has opened in Old Saybrook It has received great attention. Mad Coffee Roasters acquired the residence in the former Dunkin Donuts building, and is a small, family-owned roasting business, according to the business’s website. ( )
From our sponsor:
Are you a resident of Essex-Chester-Deep River Finding an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked the experts where they would invest $100,000 in right now, and many had the same answer: fine art.
Do you think you can’t afford Picasso? Well in 2012, Congress passed the Jobs Act, which allowed for artwork to be secured. A company called Masterworks.io has built the largest platform for buying and selling technical securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investment app, you can unlock that solid investment.
Meaning, you can invest in stocks of art works of millions of dollars. And in turbulent times, it turns out that fine art can be a wise investment. Here is the reason:
- Low correlation to stocks According to Citi
- Historically, contemporary art is 23.2% back. When inflation is >3%
- contemporary art prices outperformed the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where Essex-Chester-Deep River Daily readers can skip the queue.
See Important Registration Disclosures
Today in the Essex-Chester-Deep River:
- Fairy Garden Party at Deep River Library (10:30 a.m.)
From my notebook:
- Essex library: “Thank you so much to the friends of Essex Library for your gift to the library at today’s annual meeting! Your hard work helps make our services and programs possible. Thank you for your support!” (Essex Library via Facebook)
- Essex library: “Read Across the Rainbow This Pride Month! Find an amazing assortment of teen and young adult novels in the library.” (Essex Library via Facebook)
- Deep River Public Library: “thanks for your cooperation!” (Deep River Public Library via Facebook)
- Tri Town Youth Services Office: “Free movies on stage in Wesbrook! Starting next week, they’re showing free movies for kids on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the summer! Save this post for dates and options!” (Tri-Town Youth Services office via Facebook)
- Essex library: “Our first session of Kids Music Camp with Margie will be next week, June 29 at 4 p.m.! For kids in Pre-K-2 and their families! Registration required.” (Essex Library via Facebook)
- Essex library: “Session 1 of Animal Adventure Camp, PK-Gr 2: Wednesday, July 13 @4:00 DPNC will present their interactive program, Woodland Animals! Kids will encounter some of the animals that live in the woods of Connecticut!” (Essex Library via Facebook)
- Tri Town Youth Services Office: “This is the newsletter for all our newsletters! Not only does it include information on how to be an ally as we enter the last week of PRIDE month, but there is also a section dedicated to highlighting events and things to do for free…” (Tri-Town Youth Services Bureau via Facebook)
More Sponsors – Thanks for supporting local news!
Thanks for following up and staying informed. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow with another update!
– Karina Garrity
About me: I am a Connecticut native, and currently reside in the Tri-Town community in Chester, Deep River, and Essex. I’ve been a community reporter for the better part of the past 20 years. I love my small town community and am honored to be a part of Patch.com. You can reach me at; [email protected]
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for the upcoming Essex-Chester-Deep River daily? Contact me at [email protected]