At least 6 Jamaicans were killed in the New York metropolitan area this year

The discovery of the bodies of three Jamaicans in an apartment in Queens, New York on June 24, has brought the number of Jamaicans murdered in the New York metropolitan area since the start of the year to at least six.

The killings also include the shooting of Stevon Stewart in March, after a woman accused him of standing near her, and security officer Donovan Davy who was shot dead while talking on the phone with his sister.

The suspect has since been identified as the triple murder. It’s 29-year-old Travis Blake who has been described as the separate boyfriend of 55-year-old Darlene Barnett.

The New York Police Department on Wednesday released a photo of Blake and asked for public assistance in locating him.

According to media reports, Blake was dating Barnett and stopped in at her home in southern Jamaica “to pick up his belongings.”

Also killed was 22-year-old Fashaona Malcolm, Barnett’s niece who was said to have been visiting from Jamaica and Barnett’s 36-year-old son, Dervon Brightley.

The three decomposing bodies were found last Friday, 48 to 72 hours after they were killed.

In March, 26-year-old Stevon Stewart was shot dead shortly after leaving a Dunkin Donut store in the Bronx, New York after the gunman’s teenage lover earlier accused him of standing near her inside the restaurant.

Stewart had arrived in New York only three months before coming to his abrupt end. He reportedly moved to the Bronx to work to help his family back home in Jamaica.

He left his mother and two sisters behind on the island and worked in a restaurant to support them.

Reports indicate that after Stewart was accused of standing near her at a time when social distancing was observed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the woman called her boyfriend. He later followed Stewart as he exited the restaurant and, shortly after, shot the Jamaicans two blocks away after they briefly exchanged words.

Santillana Rodriguez, 18, has been charged in connection with Stewart’s murder.

Meanwhile, in May, 45-year-old Donovan Davey was on the phone with his sister when he was shot and killed on a Brooklyn street two blocks from a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) veteran at John F. Kennedy International Airport. his mother’s house.

Davy was on his way to visit his mother after work when he was shot in the neck and leg near E35 and Church Street in East Flatbush at about 12:20 AM.

“I heard three shots and was calling him by his name but he never answered,” his sister, who was on the phone with him, told the Daily News. I couldn’t believe it. I heard my brother was dying over the phone.”

Davy has worked for the TSA for about 17 years. John Bamburi, the agency’s director of federal security at JFK, said Davey was a “respected long-time employee who was taken from us too soon in yet another senseless act of gun violence.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *