You can’t have a baseball game without apple pie. Well, at least he’s as American as apple pie. Which is probably why we are interested in this sport. Here’s a great apple pie recipe that will cheer you all up as Nebraska’s not-so-perfect baseball season is underway.
I hope some of you will try the recipe and post here how it went. Or better yet, post it on Twitter and we’ll retweet it. There should be an image of the pie in the tweet, so don’t burn it or I’m sure the Twitterverse will burn you for it.
For the pie crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (150 grams)
- teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of ice water, as needed
- In a food processor, mix the flour and salt together. Add the butter and beat until the mixture consists of bean-sized pieces. Slowly add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until dough comes together. It should be damp, not wet.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather it into a ball. Turn into a disk with the heel of your hand. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour, up to two days.
to fill in:
- Double crust puff pastry
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Optional: Turbinado or granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough into a circle 1/8 inch thick; Transferred to 9 in. Pies plate. In a small bowl, mix sugars, flour, and spices. In a large bowl, place apples with lemon juice. Add the sugar mixture. Toss to coat. Add the filling, add the butter.
- Roll the remaining dough into a circle 1/8 inch thick. Put it on top of the filling. Trim, stamp and edge the flute. Cut slits at the top. Beat egg whites until foamy. Brush the peel off. If desired, sprinkle with turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon. Cover the edge loosely with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool on wire rack. If desired, serve with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Oh yeah, this recipe stole 100% of the internet. I’ll probably try it out in a couple of weeks.
Husker Weekend Summary for Women’s Tennis, Men’s Golf, Track and Field | Sports | dailynebraskan.com
Nebraska women’s tennis claimed its ninth and tenth victory over the weekend, defeating No. 65 Purdue 4-1 and then Indiana 4-3 on the road.
Amid the positivity in Nebraska, the Huskers’ biggest concern remains: the streak of scrimmage – The Athletic
The outlook is ambiguous. Nebraska is a team without a dominant offensive or defensive line player.
Nebraska baseball fell to Creighton 3-2 despite 5 Blugay fouls
Nebraska plays Creighton 3-2 in Game One at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha
In pursuit of the starting point, Braxton Clark has an advantage that he did not have in past years
If it seems like Braxton Clark has been around for a good while, fact-checkers find it true.
Other news from the world of sports
Meet the 2022 McDonald’s All-American: Top scorers, wingers, and senior talent – SBNation.com
These are the must-see players in the McDonald’s All-American boys game.
The annual NFL coaches photo has been dropped | BARSTOL SPORTS
Welcome. It’s my big cat. I’m blogging again. First, I really miss blogging. Part of me wishes I could go back to blogging 15 times a day, simple life, honest life. The bad news is that I…
WWE® Hosts Talent Trials Ahead of WrestleMania® | Business Wire
WWE® (NYSE: WWE) announced today that it will host a multi-day talent trial, exclusively for current and newly graduated college athletes, as part of the
Tiger plays 18 at Augusta to test Masters fitness: reports
Tiger Woods played an 18-hole practice round at Augusta National on Tuesday with his son Charlie and friend Justin Thomas, to test his fitness for the Masters next week, according to multiple reports.
Marshall reached an agreement; The herd headed to the Sun Belt this summer
The US Conference and the three schools that tried to leave the league this summer — Marshall, Southern Mississippi and Old Dominion — came up with a solution in
Jonny Manzel to stay in the 7v7 league says he has no motivation to play at a high level – ProFootballTalk
Jonny Manzel will qualify for the 7-on-7 Indoor Football League next month, but he’s not trying to prove he deserves another chance in the NFL.
Villanova’s Secret Weapon of the Final Four: Free Throw Shooting – The Wall Street Journal
The Wildcats have an advantage in tough situations as the best free throw team ever in college basketball.
Sonny Dykes, a man with a resume full of jobs that doesn’t, is now running a dick
Sonny Dykes will be the first to tell you he got a great deal at SMU. But he’s now in the TCU, and being in the Power 5 league is a huge change.
Pac-12 transitions to remote work in effort to support staff and increase revenue distribution to schools – CBSSports.com
The conference will leave its headquarters in San Francisco
TODAY – Former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel named Hedrick’s Fellow at the Coast Guard Corporation – News from Southeast Connecticut
Hagel addressed the students at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday.
Garbage house still has decorations up to 311 days
The local home irritates neighbors by leaving decorations on 311 days long after the holiday is over and allowing display items to fall into disrepair.
Adidas announces the creation of a massive NIL network – Sports Illustrated
More than 50,000 students will have the opportunity to benefit from their name, image and likeness (NIL) under the new adidas initiative.
Nicolas Cage can explain everything | GQ
The GQ April cover star details why everything so unusual about his work and his wild life makes perfect sense.